Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Goal Post Keeps Shifting

 Tempted to write after a long long time....

Didnt feel like, but today while swimming, just had a thought.. that i want to document this journey. I wish i had done it before...but looking at how the entire 2020 has gone.. glad i didnt...

2020 was the year of Smashing targets.. I had said to myself that its my 40th Year.. so i wanna be the fittest and be the best version of myself.. and so it started with a Bang..

My Best 70.3 timing where i did a 5.08 and i followed it up with my best Half marathon timings of 1.40 hours in 3 weeks of time.

Dubai 70.3 - January

Half Marathon - February..

I am saying to myself.. WHAT NEXT...

Thats when my wife comes up with a an idea to decide and gift me my 40th Birthday Gift as a sponsored trip for IM ESTONIA...i was like.. WOW.. lets do this.. only issue was training in the summers of Dubai.. but i have done Hamburg.. so its just repeat of the same..

Worked out things with Viv and started the training. To my luck, 2 of my other friends Vijay & Rohit, also decided they will register and we started our training and the journey to IM together.  

I usually like to train alone with my schedule and my timings. But then i thought to myself, in such long training hours, the more the merrier.. So we started Swimming, biking and Running together and our friendship also kept getting better just as our Endurance..:-)

however, things took a turn with COVID and while we were training with the hope the event would happen, we eventually decided to postpone it to 2021 and decided to take it easy.
Just when we took a few days off, Vijay comes up with an Idea to do Abu Dhabi FM.. 

I got excited again. Purely because my Sub 4 is still pending and to train with these Beasts was fun and so again started training and trained for a almost 10 weeks and then the Abu Dhabi FM also gets cancelled and we were dejected again.

We 3 again then decide to take advantage of the Dubai Weather and register for the safest place in the world with the least Covid cases which is New Zealand and again started training crazy mileages.


However by end of December, we realised that the 14 day Quarantine rule to arrive and race in New Zealand is too tough to maintain and hence we postponed that race to 2022.

Just when we thought that, we wont get to race upto 2021 Estonia, Dubai 70.3 registration opens up and the hopes arise again... 
I start Training with Rohit this time as Vijay decided to not Race but only train with us to avoid any kid of disappointment yet again.

However, as luck would have it, i tested positive just 2 weeks before the race. Even though it was my Taper period. it was strictly advised to not race the event and there goes yet an again event down the drain.

The last 10 months of 2020 was so heavy in training mileages, hopes or racing, hopes of smashing my best timings. However, nothing like that sort happened and everytime I targetted a Goal of a Race, the Goal post kept shifting.


Hopefully, now things are back to normal in Dubai and we can get to train and the next 20 weeks starting from today are going to be hectic as hell as now i work full time. so after a 10 hour work day, and lets see how much training i can put in now with the only hope that things happen on a positive note and Estonia Full ironman eventually happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment