Monday, January 3, 2011

My LAST LONGEST RUN B4 THE MARATHON....and THE BEST RUN SO FAR!!!!!!!!

Hi to All!!!

Below are my details for this Sundays Run..
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60087220

When you have the enthusiasm and the passion, you end up figuring how to excel. 

I guess today i can say this for myself....


Today, when i am writing this mail to you, i am feeling extremely proud of myself.....
Proud for what i managed to do yesterday....i personally did not think that i would finish so strong...
IT WAS A NEW PERSONAL BEST FOR ME..
I managed to pull off 38 kms in 4 hours and 12 minutes...

If you compare this 38km run to 38km run in LONAVALA, then you would come to know the difference..i guess since there were no slopes, the timings have bettered....
if things go this way, I am surely on my way to cross the Finish line under 5 hours on 16th Jan 2011..

This Sunday was our last longest Run....as from now on, every sunday, we would taper and do lesser distances so that our legs are fresh on the D-Day.....

I had made up my mind since last week that i wanted to finish strong when i finish the desired distance....and hence, was taking care of all that was required to maintain the same..

I was treating this Sunday as a MARATHON day and was preparing myself accordingly....

i had very bad cough and cold on Saturday morning and hence i came back from Office by Noon and took medicines and slept the entire afternoon to recover..

In the evening i started with my Carbo Loading plan...as the more carbohydrates the Body has before the long run, chances to Cramp gets lesser....

so in the evening, I had a Double Burst Cheese Pizza, with 2 bananas and while sleeping, i had 200 Gms of Flavoured Yoghurt followed by milk and slept by 1030pm...

i somehow got up at 3am and then had 1 more banana and slept to get up at 5am....
This sunday, we decided to run as per Marathon Times, and so i started my run at 556am....15 minutes prior the actual time as i could not wait any longer to start my run...( I WAS THT MUCH EXCITED TO RUN!!!!)

I started from home instead of MIG Club as did not have a car with me and did a very slow run for the 1st 2 kms as a warm- up...
then i got to my rhythm and within an hour or so, i was already at Siddhivinayak and then hit the Worli Sea Face...where i took my speed training practise to test...

i increased my speed with proper breathing ...i was not at all thinking about the time but only thing i was bothered about that i should not start cramping.....
so i ran a little fast and then got back to my original speed...when checked on my watch, i saw i was clocking almost every Km under 7mins per KM, which itself was a great achievement..

I said to myself, if i can continue this speed for the full distance, do not see a problem in completing under 5 hours...

i met the entire gang at the Haji Ali stretch, where i took a break for water, a bit of stretching, a few dates and oranges and then headed to the Pedder Road, where i knew my Wifey was waiting for me to click pictures...
when i met her, i really enjoyed that moment...felt like hugging her there and then, but i was too sweaty to do that.....i waved my In-laws when i was on the Flyover, who i guess were enjoying their cup of tea....
I took the next Mini Break at Babulnath and then started to get back to my speed at Marine Drive...

As soon as i crossed Babulnath, i started getting a pain in my left feet, which also happened at Lonavala and during my 1st 30km run...
but this pain was always happening after 25km...but when it started after 15km, i was slightly worried....
i was wondering what will happen, how am i going to finish the remaining stretch, etc...

People ask why I run.
I say "If you have to ask, you will never understand".
It is something only those select few know.
Those who put themselves through pain, but deep down know how good it feels

i just halted there and then, did some ankle and feet stretches, stopped thinking about the pain and started running.....i decided that I will do the feet stretches every 10-15 mins so that it does not aggravate....

It worked....i ran in a similar manner upto NCPA..half way target achieved and no sign of cramps or knee pain whatsoever....now the main aim was to get back in similar manner....


Dr. Ajay kharat and Ajay Pimpley were slower than usual this time.
Ajay Pimpley was nursing an Hamstring injury so was taking slow on purpose...
Dr. Kharat was at his normal speed, but i guess i have had a tremendous improvement in my speed due to the speed runs on Tuesday, which is showing in my performance...( Thanks to Dr. Kharat for this).......

I was continuously sipping water for the entire distance every 15 - 20 minutes, which helped me to be Hydrated enough...and again not cramping...

The last 3 -4 kms did slow me down, but that will happen when we Run so much...
I must say, that when i reached MIG, i was not tired at all..infact, i could have done 4 kms more and finished the Marathon distance..as i had recovered well enough....but the additional 4 kms are left so that the excitement on the MARATHON DAY, remains intact...

The rest of the day was a recipe for Disaster..... As soon as i reached home, i had to get ready for a wedding function and hence, did not get rest even for a minute....
i just had a quick shower and got ready for the wedding and then had to search for an auto to reach the highway, where a car pick up was waiting for me...luckily, i did not have to drive......
i got back home at around 4pm and since then had only slept...when i got up at 630, the entire body was paining & Started getting cramps , in fact, its still paining Now, when i am writing to you this mail....
hoping to recover fully before tomorrows speed run...:-)

its less than a month now to finish the Full Marathon....the Dream that i had since the Marathon started in Mumbai ..

I could not run until last year due to my knee problem as had both my Patela's a bit dislocated due to excessive dance and table tennis...

I somehow managed to pull last years HALF MARATHON...and then, sprained my leg after the marathon and was hit by a Ligament tear, where at times i thought i might not be able to run forever....

Luckily, the mind won over the Body, and today, i have run more that 500 KMs already after my Ankle injury in February 2010....

I Have lost 8 kgs and have started fitting in my college clothes back again..however, need to put on some weight back as soon as i finish the marathon...
Need to add more strength to my legs, so the next years marathon is even better and Stronger...


The Next 2- 3 Sundays, i might run or not run at all, as i am in Lonavala for those weekends, however, shall update you on the same if i run......
or else my next update will be straight on 17th Jan....
till then.....

Adios....

Regards
Pratik

No comments:

Post a Comment